Thursday, August 26, 2010

Eggs baked in Tomatoes

Breakfast today was one perfect egg, courtesy of my hen Rosemary, ( How do I know it was Rosemary? She's the only jumbo egg layer in my flock) baked in a glorious tomato that I harvested this morning. I have no idea what variety tomato this is since it volunteered itself just by my front door. Whatever variety it is, the fruit is enormous. I did not plant any beefsteak type tomatoes this year (and the tomatoes I did plant were pathetic failures!) I planted San Francisco Fogs which have medium sized fruits (or at least they were medium the year I got them to grow so well for me...) but this year they hemmed and hawed, spitting out sour, bitter little cherries that were good for nothing. At first I thought the plants were cherry tomatoes that were mismarked but now I think are just unhappy malcontents. I was going to tear the plants out, and enjoy doing it!
"Take that you ingrate!", I'd say. "After all I've done for you, water, feed, weed...this is how you repay me? You're outta here!"
But all of a sudden, sensing, I suppose, my mounting anger and their impending doom, they are growing again so I'll see if they "snap out of it" before I yank them.

Eggs baked in Tomatoes
An easy dish for one or for more- here's how:

All you will need is one beefsteak tomato and one large egg per person, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, ample freshly grated black pepper and fresh basil leaves. I like this because the only salt needed is already in the cheese and no oil or butter is necessary. Serve with toast. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees f.
  1. Cut off the top of the tomato and scoop out the seeds and pulp. (I am saving these bits for my salad dressing at lunch)
  2. Liberally pepper the inside of the tomato.
  3. Crack in the egg.
  4. Top with parmesan cheese.
  5. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
  6. Top with torn fresh basil leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment